8/30-31 The Hatchery

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

8/30-31 The Hatchery

Postby vernv » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 am

Took a short trip to the gorge and had super gusty conditions (10 - 42 mph) on 8/30. Rigged a 3.6m and managed a couple of tough trips across the river.

The sailing on 8/31 was much better, but still gusty. I went out early on a 5m with a 116l slalom board and had a great time. I switched to a 85l board for a period, but the lulls were tougher to endure. Witnessed some incredible sailing and wing riding. It was not so crowded on either day, which was great for me being my first time sailing the Hatch. I had actually hoped to sail Roosevelt and Doug's, but I would have been completely alone on the water! Surprising how less crowded it becomes this time of year.

I camped at Roosevelt, which I think is the best spot on the gorge. Free, and relatively quiet. The sailing is great there too. I moved to Viento the next night and the highway and train noise was relentless. Camped at Farewell Bend on the way home and this was nice, but pricey ($26) for tent camping. Also, the wind came up at nightfall and blew strong all night.

https://vimeo.com/596618940
vernv

Return to Wind Log