Vistors to Utah

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Vistors to Utah

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

Perhaps, we should have a sticky thread for visitors to Utah. I don't know why people don't do their homework before they spend a small fortune to come here and then just end up sitting around or getting frustrated. Here is the list of things that I would tell a visitor to do:

1. Bring a decent quiver of kites, I would bring a 9, 12, and 17 LEI. However, if you can only bring one kite bring your largest kite. If you ask most of the Utah locals, they will tell you that they use a 17m kite more than all of their other kites combined. The wind tends to be light and the snow tends to be deep, so you need all of the power you can get.
2. Talk to a local about the wind, terrain, wind shadows. Kiting in the mountains has a higher learning curve than snowkiting on a frozen lake. A lot of newbies and people from out of town end up getting stuck in wind shadows. I have seen it happen to pros. It only takes a few minutes to introduce yourself to a local and to find out where the pitfalls lie.
3. Kiting at elevation requires a high level of physical fitness. Skyline and PowMow are over 9000 feet. The air is thinner up there and the snow is often deep. Prepare yourself several months ahead for a vigorous effort.
4. Prepare yourself for the altitude. Get plenty of sleep. Hydrate well, move slowly at first to allow your body to adapt.
5. Come prepared with a backup plan. Sometimes a high pressure ridge will park over the area and shut down the wind. Those days are good for resort skiing, cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, etc.
6. Learn how to self launch and land your kite.
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: Vistors to Utah

Postby MikeWhite » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:59 am

Perfect! This info is exactly what I was looking for before I head to your neck of the woods! Thanks! Unfortunately, my largest kite is a 12, so I'll pack it and hope for the best. Will bring plenty of other toys.
MikeWhite

Return to Main Message Board