5/1 - 5/6 North Padre Island, TX

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

5/1 - 5/6 North Padre Island, TX

Postby vernv » Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 am

Sandra and I had a great time sailing in the 80F waters of laguna madre on north padre island near corpus christi, TX last week. Most of the days were steady 5.2 - 5.5 sailing from 2 - 6pm. Rented nice new gear from worldwinds at bird island basin. I was really pleased with the great weather, consistent wind and good launches. The town of Corpus Christi however isn't very attractive, it's a bit rundown. Overall though this is a great (and relatively inexpensive) spring windsurf destination.

- Vern
vernv

weed fins

Postby Carl Christensen » Mon May 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Sounds great. How deep is it? I assume that it is mostly flat water bump and jump. Are weed fins de rigeur? (Not that you can't sail with a weed fin, just that I prefer not to given the choice.)
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby mike rossberg » Mon May 15, 2006 8:07 pm

You suck!! I wish I was there. Its a fun place
mike rossberg

Postby vernv » Wed May 24, 2006 1:47 pm

The water depth averages about 3-4 feet through most of the bird island basin sailing area. This was perfect for Sandra to get confidence in water starts. A weed fin is only necessary on wind directions other than south (offshore). The sargasso seaweed prevelant in the area blows to the other side of the bay with south wind. I understand that south direction is most common, especially in spring.

- vern
vernv

Return to Wind Log