July 6 Grantsville (what a welcome home for both Grants)

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

July 6 Grantsville (what a welcome home for both Grants)

Postby Grant McAllister » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:08 pm

On my 4th day back home from North Carolina the wind gods showered me with warm welcome winds out of the south. Water was crystal clear, refreshing, but not cold, and whipped white from 20-25 mph winds. In all it was almost a perfect day.
Attachments
IMG_1275.JPG
Demo
Grant McAllister

Re: July 6 Grantsville (what a welcome home for both Grants)

Postby Carl Christensen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm

dog.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby DimitriMilovich » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm

I love it when you can sail on a 5.2, totally wound for close to 3 hours then get into work by 11:00. Also love it when someone gets a pic of me not headplanting. As Josh said, I went over the handlebars at least 3x. Plenty strong wind. 90 liter board was fun, too.

Went to DC in the PM trying to get the daughter some wind. DC at 2:30 was totally consistent in that it was completely, unpredictably (or is that predictably?) inconsistent. Sucky, semi-glassy with motor chop, then windline came through about 30 minutes later but it was sucker wind, although I did see a lone rider out in the middle getting some rides. One kiter up at 2:15, but then nobody later. Best wind of IB vs. Sailboat (because we went to both, twice!) was instead off of Rainbow Bay, but we bailed and found great fresh strawberrie milkshakes at the Dairy KEEN in Heber, so it wasn't a total loss. Stopped at Jordanelle, which seemed light earlier, and went down to the water to feel full-on 6.0 in our faces. But since we are both leaving town tomorrow AM, it was time to go home.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Postby JimSouthwick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm

DC was pretty weird today, about as fluky as it ever gets - near dead calm punctuated by ferocious gusts to 30 mph. I started at Charleston Beach at about 1 on a 7.5, which produced a few rides and a lot of slogging. Came in (about the time DaveO arrived) with intention of switching to an 8.5. DaveO wondered whether the conditions might be better at IB and headed over there. About the time he left, the wind returned, and I got a few more rides on the 7.5. At about 2:30, Judy Collins arrived for her first session of the season and brought more wind with her. She hit the water about 3, and within 15 minutes I was WAY OP on the 7.5. She switched down to a 5, and I put on a 6, both of which provided plenty of power in the increasingly strong gusts. Next to arrive was George (Iron Man) Ward, who was doing the Utah windsurfing daily double - AM session at Gville, PM session at DC. He chose a 6.6, which provided some wild rides and a couple of launches. The wind continued to cycle up and down (as did the kiters at DCBB) but the gust were getting fewer and farther between (but no less ferocious) by about 5, when George and I went in. About that time Paul and Angee arrived, and a short time later Judy pulled in, hoping for a second session. Unfortunately, at that point the wind really did pretty much die. Interesting day. Some wild rides, lots of slogging.

http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/PhotoAlbum134.html
JimSouthwick

Postby Grant McAllister » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:47 am

More photos from Grantsville 07/06
Attachments
demo2.jpg
Demo
dad4.jpg
Opa
dad2.jpg
Opa (Grandpa) Grant Sr.
Grant McAllister

Postby Grant McAllister » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 am

more photos
Attachments
demo3.jpg
demo
dad3.jpg
Opa
demo1.jpg
demo
Grant McAllister

Postby Grant McAllister » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 am

Last group
Attachments
dad5.jpg
Grant Sr. coming too close to camera!
IMG_1325.JPG
Grant Jr.
IMG_1322.JPG
Grant Jr.
Grant McAllister

Postby Josh Shirley » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:05 am

Great pics
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Henderson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am

5.0 conditions and almost flat water? is that some kind of illusion in the photo's? If not I must get to grants, I want some!
Shawn Henderson

Postby Grant McAllister » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:58 am

Yes, it was 5,0-6,0 and flat as a pancake. Perfect for jibing and rocket-fast speed runs.
Grant McAllister

Return to Wind Log