Bic / Fanatic fins & advice

List windsurfing gear you have to buy and sell. Ads are automatically removed after 6 months.

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Sell or give away whatever you consider pertinent to windsurfing.
-Please delete what you've sold, or update your post after 3 months. (unless the post is as interesting as Jason Morton's Liquidation sale!)

Bic / Fanatic fins & advice

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm looking for a couple of fins with a bic / fanatic base, my 2 fins have encountered a bit of wear & dings while teaching others to windsurf. Do you have any sitting around that need a new home?

Question: Does anyone have experience with the Starboard Rio 150ltr or the Bic Nova 170D. I'm looking for something wide and floaty that my wife would enjoy and not grow out of too quickly (she's a beginner). It's hard to find demo boards in St. George ;)

Thanks,

Vaughn
Vaughn Montgomery

Re: Bic / Fanatic fins & advice

Postby scottgoslin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 am

Hello Vaun, i might have a couple of fins for u , what is the stlye of fin box for that board?. if this is the same one, u got at the swap meet. And u might try JB weld,( grey when dries), or Marine tech,( white) both are sandable and maluable when wet. This might get some new life out of those fins.
Thanks scott g :)))
scottgoslin

Postby Carl Christensen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 pm

powerbox type fins? single bolt? how long do you need?
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:20 am

I have couple of them, trim box. I got them used, for $20 each and never used them. Let me know if you're interested.

~Leo
Leo Chan

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes Scott, they need to fit the Bic that I got from you at the swap meet. I only have one fin for this board and I'll try the JB weld on it, although I'm thinking it might be good to have more than one fin... just in case. It's a great board, thank you very much!

Leo and Carl, Yes I'm interested in some fins, according to the house magazine diagram, it a "fanatic/bic power trim box" with 4 screw holes, only uses one screw depending on where the fin is mounted. As for the size, I really don't know. I have a 36 cm Curtis and a 34 cm Fanatic but I'd like to be able to go upwind easier. (maybe it's technique) I generally use a 5.0 - 5.7 sail and maybe bigger when I find one. Yes, I'm a newbie. I'm using them on a 105 ltr Fanatic and a 138 ltr Bic. Yes, I'm interested in some fins, what fins do you have?

Thanks,

Vaughn
Vaughn Montgomery

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Vaughn, the fins I have are similar to the sizes you have already. So, I might not be able to of much help. The sail sizes you use most often probably doesn't require larger fin. The 34 cm should be able to get you up to 6.5 m^2 sail.
Leo Chan

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Scott, the JB Weld worked good, I'd still like to hook with you on those other fins next time I'm up in the North country. I'll send you an note before my next trip up there.

Thanks,

Vaughn
Vaughn Montgomery

Return to Windsurf Buy/Sell