News article, Snowkiting & Pow Mow

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Moderators: Craig Goudie, RickHeninger, Josh Shirley

News article, Snowkiting & Pow Mow

Postby windzup » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Interesting words. I applaud that Pow Mow is standing behind Snowkiting and wants to support and recognize the sport... unfortunate that the overall impression for Snowkiting is not better.

Funny stuff in this article: http://www.standard.net/topics/outdoors ... -reservoir

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

www.FlyOzoneUSA.com
windzup

Re: News article, Snowkiting & Pow Mow

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I for one don't care much about Pow Mow. The location is not really that great for an event like the SuperFlyOpen. I think it would be a great improvement for the event to have it in Strawberry. I promise to take at least a few friends with me as spectators to see how good this sport is.
Leo Chan

Postby Augie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm

As the person who got kiting startes at Pow Mow when I used to work there I have to agree with Leo. Strawberry is a much better place to hold the Superfly. Since I no longer work there I can also say that the new management is just one of the many reasons why I quit working there. I was going to buy a season kiter pass this year since they sold them in years past. How much can they support kiting if they quit selling the season pass? Pow Mow is too small to hold a big event like this and they think small also.
Augie

Postby Mark Johnson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I am wondering how the parking situation is going to be a Strawberry. I would like to encourage some people I know to come up. It seems like it will be crowded in the small parking areas. Will we be able to park along the highway? If the wind is better at different locations at Strawbs will we all be moving our cars in a mad rush to find wind? Will there be a shuttle? Also is there a fee for parking in the lots at Strawberry, not for the Superfly but on any other days? I never have payed in the winter and nothing has been said. I know that it is required in the summer if you stop to fish.
Mark Johnson

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 pm

The problem with Strawberry is that unless you have good clearing north winds, it is hard to schedule a good location for the event. Frankly, Skyline is the best and only reasonable place to hold a snowkiting in Utah.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby bordy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 am

Mark? You haven't been paying the fee dude???? You should be !!! From now on just pay me the 5 bones a visit and I will make sure the rangers get it... what ever happened to don't ask don't tell?? Oh yea repeeled...
bordy

Postby Mark Johnson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 am

I know that in the past the fee has been waved in the winter.
Just not sure if this is still in place since that nice ranger lady
was taking down licence numbers last time I was there.
Mark Johnson

Postby bordy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Mark, I am assuming the nice ranger lady payed specail attention to you and peter becuase his jacket is a billboard that makes it look like he is running a bizness out there... If there where fees in effect wouldn't the ranger have asked you if they were payed and asked for proof, If that was a concern?

I spoke to the same Ranger on Saturday at Lake creek she was very kind and was checking snowmobile registrations , I also saw her kindly checking snowmobilers in the river lot before we launched, she did not speak with any of us kiting but she did smile and wave at me as she walked by. ;)) She is the same very nice ranger that has checked my paperwork in the summer while dirt bike riding. If some one has a unregirstered sled it is the policy to docement who they are, I am sure thats all that is going on with the sledders,as far as we go, as long as you are not out there making money while using strawberry with out a permit then all is good.

Park Smart and safe, ride smart and safe, be smart and safe and the kiting will be grand. I do know the are on the look out for un licensed guides as the fines are big and worth the effort.

I would also never EVER state to anyone at strawberry that you are taking pics for a mag or profit or anything of the sort, The forest service requires a fee for any video or pictures taken at strawbs,(or skyline) that may used in for anything put personal use. The daily fees are the same as if you wanted to shot a fully Hollywood video out there, and the fines for not having the permit are huge also... Just a heads up for anyone with a camera, even if you mention using it online you could be in trouble, I would always answer the same, I am taking home movies of my friends so we can get better,watch them while having beers later etc. Or I am just taking photos of my friends cuz I like to take pictures and they like to see themselves in them... keep it Low Key...the squekey wheel gets the grease..On the flip side if you where going to shot a big kite movie out there then I would have my ducks in a row with the forest folk...
bordy

Return to Main Message Board