SPI Long Term Forecast

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

SPI Long Term Forecast

Postby John Guay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 am

I am wondering if anyone on the forum knows what the prevailing weather map( postion of low and high pressure) needs to look like for good wind conditions in South Padre Island. Last spring the prevailing SE flow was really light at SPI and the winter here in Utah was very dry. I am wondering if a similar pattern is setting up this year.
John Guay

Re: SPI Long Term Forecast

Postby AndyBlunt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 am

John

Kip Wipperman lived in south padre for a season or two he's on the forum and may be helpful to you
AndyBlunt

Postby kip_whipperman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

As far as what to look for with weather systems/patterns I can't say I really caught on to any of that. Probably because there were very few days I ever got skunked because the wind would always pick up in the afternoon. As you know spring into mid summer is the best down there. I spent a season in South Padre & a season in Corpus Christi. What I can say from experience living in both places is I would prefer kiting in the Corpus Christi area any day over South Padre. But if you are looking more for the spring break fun with much less kiting options than I'd go South Padre. I went down to South Padre last year during spring break and like you said the wind was a total fluke. Even the locals couldn't seem to explain it. Hopefully this season proves much different. ikitesurf.com is a must kiting in South Texas. Because they have the live weather flow sensors. The meteogram or forecast tables seemed to always be pretty spot on. The only thing is you have to pay a monthly fee to get the weather flow sensors on ikitesurf. Totally worth it though. Jeff Howard & the guys in corpus at kiteboarding.com (prokitesurf) are way more chill than the guys down at Air padre kiteboarding shop. Either one you can call or visit daily and they will give you a heads up on weather/locations. One of my favorite places to kite in Corpus is on Laguna shores road right before you head over the causeway in Jerry owner of brokite's backyard. Knock on his door and tell him I sent ya. If you drink beer or don't either way bring him some shiner bock and he'll be your best friend. Way cool guy with a wealth of knowledge. Butter flat water with little islands you can kite out to and around. Just look out for the birds on them. In corpus you can kite any wind direction because you have a full round bay from wildcat park to anywhere out on mustang island. There are some epic long downwinders across channels & bays too. the people in Corpus are way friendlier and just pick you up and take you to your car if you are stranded after a downwinder. I'ts windier in Corpus and much smoother wind. Sorry about my CC rant and that I couldn't answer your question. I you need anything else let me know.

Kip
kip_whipperman

Postby John Guay » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Kipp,

Thanks for all the info on Corpus Christie. I went there on a windsurfing trip about 30 years ago and had a really good time. It's been all Padre for kiting so I need to give Corpus a try. So far it looks like March has been a good wind pattern so I'm hoping for an April trip. :)))
John Guay

Return to Main Message Board