Strawberry Reservoir wind and conditions

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Strawberry Reservoir wind and conditions

Postby RonBert » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello! I’m posting this here since I can’t seem to post in the Forecast board at the moment. At the request of a couple of kiters I met at DC last week, I’m posting Strawberry conditions as I can (but definitely not at length as this has become).

So, I’m new to the forum, but I’ve had a cabin at Strawberry Reservoir for 5 years now, and I’ve been skiing, climbing, or biking the area for about 15 years. I’ve snowkited Strawberry for four seasons now, and just started on water (ever) last summer to extend my kiteboarding pleasure throughout the year. I kited on Strawberry, at Ladders, once last fall in early October, and I’ve been out three times over the last week or so. One day was not enough for the 14m, yesterday was ok, but today was a special day at Ladders; a solid white cap, 12-14m day from noon on; and just me.

I’m waiting for my 17m to enjoy the many 9-12Kt days Strawberry gets. (And I do mean Knots, and not MPH.) Tomorrow (6/2/2014) looks slow, but Tuesday looks promising with 22kt WSW winds starting about noon, with possible 30kt gusting; then 16kts smooth W winds till dusk. We will see. Anything above 12kts and I’m happy. I may wish I had brought a smaller kite than the 14m. And note that gusts over water at Strawberry are generally longer wave than the slams I've experienced at DC. I will post an update from Ladders Tuesday, if I go, and can from my mobile (to this msg board).

If you are curious, here are some current water conditions and site characteristics at Ladders: The water is now 3/2 wetsuit temps, with booties and gloves, cap, if you’re cold sensitive. I’ve been wading around in the water, charting the shallows for 45mins or more at a time in my 3/2 for more than week now, and I’m very comfortable, for the most part. (I kite in 40+ water temps on the east coast; December to March.)

Ladders’ shallows are comparable to DC. Standing at the Ladders pullout, facing the water: it is deep in the center of the mini-bay to the right/NW of the Ladders’ chute (though there is a submerged road running across the bay that makes a good reef to snag on most the way across the bay); and it’s deep in the middle of the mini-bay to the left/SE of the chute (also a roadbed reef running a ways out on that side starting near the chute). Good news is winds from the SE all the way around west to NW, always blow you into the shallows; which extend out at least a kite length or two or three, before you’re up to your chest (I’m 5’10”…in the morning). Try walking straight out from where the entrance road runs into the water, until you start tippy-toeing in your wetsuit; nice distance from shore. The chute is deep and fast running, and cold!

Along the shore of the bluff, south of the bay, it is chest deep by 30 feet or so, all the way south past the overlook pull out. I’m hoping to do a shore-break like down winder on a good WSW day along that stretch (like today was). There are stronger winds along this stretch than Ladders bay, and bigger wave action (about 1-2 foot swells today). You could smack your kite on the cliff at one point, but nice little landings south of the bay, past the Lookout pullout. The SE mini-bay can be accessed from the bluff pull out at the South point of the mouth of the bay.

There are no almost no obstructions along the entire shore of the bay, where you can launch, pull-up and rest, or land; even fly the kite overland, your board just off shore. Do watch the partially submerged sagebrush branches in spots (line snaggers), and maybe pick up any beached trash you may see. The bottom is mostly firm mud, with scattered gravel and soft mud areas; slick mud in spots; and submerged sage branches (good for pushing off of). The shore run along the entire width of the bay, on both sides of the chute, for SW to W winds, is say 1-1.5 miles; and the mini-bays, either side of the chute, give you up to a 1/2+ mile to play in. The island is about 3/4 miles out from the landing, and closer where it pinches the water at the NW point of the bay. The island and the NW landmass of the bay can provide flatter water for SW to NW winds; perhaps a bit of deterioration and slight little turbulence (likely not even an issue for DC kiters).

Hope this helps those who are wondering about Strawberry conditions. Also, it is a day use area so there is a “fee”($8/day or $90 seasonal pass) My park ranger neighbor (who thinks kiteboarding is awesome! And does not like the contractor day use management) stopped me the other day while parked at Ladders; no pass, but no ticket, just a warning. ..So, have at it!-)
RonBert

Re: Strawberry Reservoir wind and conditions

Postby jason morton » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Great first post! Thanks. Sounds like you are getting some good sessions there. I can only recall a couple guys kiting there on the water over the years. Please keep posting your sessions on the wind log so we can see how it compares to deer creek. Most people probably won't drive past DC to hit Strawberry but I'm sure there will be more people willing to explore after they read your posts. And the point forecast does indeed look really good for Tuesday!!
jason morton

Postby Craig Goudie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey Ron,

Right now The forecast tab is pretty much open only to me (and Kenny), but if you're inclined to do a regular
forecast for Strawberry, I'll try and remember how to set you up as a forecaster. I have zilch experience with
Strawberry, so somebody with experience would be great.

Anyway, PM me if you're inclined.

-Craig

RonBert wrote:Hello! I’m posting this here since I can’t seem to post in the Forecast board at the moment. At the request of a couple of kiters I met at DC last week, I’m posting Strawberry conditions as I can (but definitely not at length as this has become).

So, I’m new to the forum, but I’ve had a cabin at Strawberry Reservoir for 5 years now, and I’ve been skiing, climbing, or biking the area for about 15 years. I’ve snowkited Strawberry for four seasons now, and just started on water (ever) last summer to extend my kiteboarding pleasure throughout the year. I kited on Strawberry, at Ladders, once last fall in early October, and I’ve been out three times over the last week or so. One day was not enough for the 14m, yesterday was ok, but today was a special day at Ladders; a solid white cap, 12-14m day from noon on; and just me.

Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby RonBert » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:21 pm

jason morton wrote:...Most people probably won't drive past DC to hit Strawberry but I'm sure there will be more people willing to explore after they read your posts. And the point forecast does indeed look really good for Tuesday!!

It's actually only a 20-25 minute drive from Heber to Ladders, and you can't beat the scenery along the way...
RonBert

Postby RonBert » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:28 am

RonBert wrote:...At the request of a couple of kiters I met at DC last week, I’m posting Strawberry conditions as I can...

Update: suppose to blow 12Kts SSE this afternoon to 8pm (there is wind now at my place 5 mins south). Not kited this direction but right along the NW shore of Ladders bay may work well...Bit of a head cold today, but I'm willing to meet anyone at Ladders this week if you PM me to exchange phone numbers.

IMG_20130930_145857_551.jpg
Ladders bay looking NW from bluff pulloff
RonBert

Postby RonBert » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 am

Update: Calling for W-WNW @ 24-20mph till 5pm today; then 16mph at Ladders; 70s and clear sky. It's ramping up now at my cabin. I've contracted a head cold, but that may not keep me off the water today. Have a friend heading out, so if you venture out this way you'll likely see us. (Ladders is the next bay past Chicken Creek where alot of snowkiting happens)...
RonBert

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:36 am

I am going to kite there when the water gets warm enough. :mrgreen:
Leo Chan

Postby RonBert » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Leo Chan wrote:I am going to kite there when the water gets warm enough. :mrgreen:

It's warm enough now--for kiters!-)
RonBert

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 am

The wind up there looks way better than DC most of the time. I am definitely going to come check it out the next few days or so. Keep the forecast coming. 8)

RonBert wrote:
Leo Chan wrote:I am going to kite there when the water gets warm enough. :mrgreen:

It's warm enough now--for kiters!-)
Leo Chan

Postby RonBert » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 am

If you are looking for updates on Strawberry conditions, I am posting any new forecasts for the day to the "Its blowing I'm going" board. Any aftermath of the day's experience will in be in the “Wind Log” board.
RonBert

Return to Main Message Board