UL launches

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

UL launches

Postby DeanDavis » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:34 pm

Here are my thoughts on UL launches. I love SSB because of the swell and because it is so close so I am sticking with that until we just can't make it work. On that note it does seem like we were losing beach pretty quick every few days but it seems like it has leveled off for the last week. Maybe that is just a pause due to cooler weather. I still think it is a reasonably safe launch (I have done much worst). It is getting cozy with lines over lines and kites on lines but if we all are considerate we can all manage to get on the water safely. Last night there was about 8 kiters on the water and as far as I know no launch issues. If and when we lose SSB then I think there is a chance that we can move down to the Further South end of SSB (stupid name but no one came up with anything else). My thinking is that we would pass through the gate then hang left as soon as we can (this might require driving in some shallow water). Then once around that vegetation I think we can drive back south out of the water and if my memory serves me onto a nice grassy area. This is all in theory and a little mud makes this all a pipe dream. Lincoln seems too rocky too me but maybe one could drive to Lincoln then down on the flat beach south of the water and find a less rocky area. I don't think the rocks move too far from the mountain. My general thinking is that this Further south end of SSB is all grass without the tree barrier at high water (like SSB) the question is how to get there. Like I mentioned maybe through the gate on the east end or maybe via Lincoln beach on the west end or maybe there is a road in between but that is my general plan for a loss of SSB. I think South Bay may have some launches. My best thought is where Derik got injured. That was a long peninsula that juts out westward. Much of it must be gone but is was pretty long before so some of it might still exist. It may or may not be rocky (I never paid any attention to the portion closer to the road). When the water was low it was a bit rocky with some small plants that made the launch less than ideal. It could be a side-shore or on-shore or off-shore since it is a peninsula (on a north or south wind).

None of this gets me the reward money since it is all on-shore except for the possibilities in South Bay. The only problem is that not many from SLC will be willing to add 30-45 minutes to the already long drive. I can hardly get the Utah County guys to make the extra drive to South Bay. The only ones I can drag down that far are Willy and Ryan. Which reminds me, when are we going to get some of the hardcore to move to beautiful Spanish Fork. It should be called the gateway to kiting since it has quick access to the south UL launches and it has quick access to Skyline for your winter wind riding pleasures. If all goes well we will also have the first wind farm in the state giving us the ability to see ourselves as progressive and forward thinking. Housing is cheap and as you might imagine we can always use some diversity.

As far as SSB and north I have a really hard time picturing a launch in Provo Bay (due to the heavy reeds) and in my opinion Lindon sucked even before the beach was trashed just due to the fact that the wind doesn't blow there (it just doesn't seem to pick up the wind). The boat harbor has no lure for me because of the cost, the launch, the flat water (I like the swell), the rocks, the boats, etc. but that is just my opinion.

The west side, who knows but it won't be me who finds it. That would be a 2 hour drive for me until they build that bridge.
DeanDavis

Return to Main Message Board