New to Kiting, Looking for Pointers from the Experts.

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

New to Kiting, Looking for Pointers from the Experts.

Postby Mike Storer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am

-
Last edited by Mike Storer on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Storer

Re: New Here: Need Advice on First Twin Tip Sizing

Postby Jason Klein » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am

If you're going to have just 1 board, probably anything in that 136-142 (by 41-42) range would be just fine. Most people here have 2-3 boards. With our variable winds, its nice to be able to just come in and swap boards to adjust for changes in winds. Very often, people here have a small tt, and then a large tt and/or a surfboard for lighter winds/waves. At your weight, the small board would be 132-136 (by 40-41) range, and the large tt might be 145x48 or something like a spleen door. more and more, people here seem to be switching to higher volume surfboards (nugget, sweet potato) for a light wind weapon.
Jason Klein

Postby bordy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:42 am

Mike,

You are going to need gear based on the wind here in UT. In till you are a expert level kiter boarder length isn't going to effect your progression. On a 142 with a 12m you are not going to get to kite often here. Most of us ride, big kites and bigger boards, 18m-14m kites are the norm most of the year, we do get days that we fly smaller kites but not often. I ride 12m more then most folks but with a light wind style surfboard from North kiteboarding called the nugget, I also have been riding lighter wind for a while so I have experance to rely on to help.

For now you want a twin tip that goes up wind well, plans easly, and has nice comfy straps and pads. There are used boards for sale every where, and most local kiters try and buy locally on this forum before looking out side the community, to help support all our habit!

I would recommend a medium flex free ride twin tip, with a bigger kite like 17m-14m you could get by with a 132-150cm board, Even if you were the fastest progressing kiteboarder ever it will be a year before you have the skills to want to taylor your gear to your style , weight etc.. If you want to ride with your 12m here you will need a huge board like the North spike, flysurfer door, sling shot glide, or as many of us do a big directional. Surfboard, raceboard, skimboard etc...

I weigh 175 ish, for twintips I ride the North select 135 for freeriding, and the 139 Gambler for boots. I could just as easly ride any size in the line but I had to pick some thing. We are not behind a boat at the same speed so being able to change power means you can make any board work.

You can go to Norths site, http://www.northkites.com/products/boards/twin-tips/

I use the North line as a base becuase their website is great and every company uses similar "style" style boards.
bordy

Postby Mike Storer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:37 pm

-
Mike Storer

Re: --

Postby bordy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 am

What just happened to this post.

Did we scare this cat off????

This is why I dont get the internet? Jason and I give the guy the local goods and he pulls his post? WTF????
bordy

Re: --

Postby Mike Storer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm still here and greatly appreciate the input! I just had a moment of extreme overwhelming confusion. I'm being told so many different things from people it was becoming hard to sort out what to do, what to buy, where to go to ride...etc etc.

I spent some time at Deer Creek yesterday and Steve from Cloud 9 took me under his wing and set me straight. He got me up on his 9m and gave me a million priceless pointers for local kiting...as that was the first time I've kited here locally. The rest has been in the Long Beach/Huntington Area.

I'd still like to know how all you guys know where to go and when to be there. It seems there is a crowd that will show up at the exact same time at the exact same place and know exactly when the wind is suppose to turn on or shut down. I find that amazing and would love your input on how to know where to go and when. I've been reading Craig's daily forecast but still am unsure of all the acronyms you guys are so good at using.

Remember, I'm entirely new to this and am just getting out on my own. There is an entire language to learn with this and that can get overwhelming when someone who knows what they are doing doesn't entirely spell it out. I'm not trying to pretend I know what I'm doing, just trying to learn something new and be safe at it.
Mike Storer

Return to Main Message Board