Sulplhur Sunday, July 16

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Sulplhur Sunday, July 16

Postby Carl Christensen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 pm

That was fun. Very pleasant water temps, swimsuit and shirt, plus rigging in the meadow with the clover kinda helped. Instead of blowing 1-7pm like yesterday it was more like 2-6pm. The windspeeds for the Divide site document similar velocities and peaks however. There were some very powered rides on 3 inch washboard, up, down and across the wind by the dam. It almost tickles yur feet when yur goin' like that. It was easily the most real estate I have covered there because I pushed deep into the upwind corners and way downwind further than ever.

Things must have looked fun because a couple chased me down in a lull and inquired about lessons. It was a bit alarming at first because they seemed kinda mad, like their fishing tackle had been torn out of their hands or something. (It sure seemed like a very wide berth had been afforded to any and all.) Needless to say I was too busy to let them ride my rig, (yeah, they asked), but referred them to the UWA site just as a good push came in and shot me off on a bender to the southwest edge.

Does anyone know how tightly the First Divide readings match the lake? 5mph fast, slow, no correlation, what?

BTW, troopers were stationed in Evanston both coming and going. Sailor calm thyself.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 am

The consensus among SC experts like George Ward seems to be that First Divide numbers correlate with what's happening at SC but are on the high side by about 5-10 MPH.
JimSouthwick

Postby paulandanjeebradshaw » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Carl - Paul and I have been talking about Sulphur wondering if you can camp on the grass by the former store and if the mosquitoes are bad. Whaadya know 'bout this? We have a friend that we pawned Jim Southwicks large learner board on and we were thinking about taking him there but also wondering about the weed content. Any plans to head there soon? Hoe to see everyone on the water real soon before we go crazy -
Anjee Bradshaw
paulandanjeebradshaw

Postby Carl Christensen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:05 am

John D is the one to ask about camping, he's done it a bunch. As for the grasses, they are in full bloom right now which means that you have to launch, sail 50 yards, clean your fin, and then take off for good. I went Sunday and got some good rides on my lightwind slalom gear. The water is probably about perfect temperature, swimsuit only is fine.

We should have been at Provo Harbor from 5-8pm last night. I had to work and it just kills me that it went like that. Figures.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 pm

Or use a weed fin. They work!
JimSouthwick

Sulphur camping

Postby John Dubock » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:26 pm

The Buffalo Beach camp/field is drying out, but I see horses etc in there. Camping is hit and miss, kinda up to the son who lives in what used to be the C Store.

I used to camp near his house, but I'd ask each time. Not sure if the son is there each day.

Camping in the Uintas is easy, Bob Hansen does it, lots cooler, but bugs.

There is the dirt road 'past' SC that goes for 20 miles, lots of pull outs, easy road.
John Dubock

Return to Wind Log