12/26 Pineview Icebox 13m

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

12/26 Pineview Icebox 13m

Postby Augie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:13 pm

I had some time to go early this morning and I figured the wind would blow in the narrows. It was cold as hell though, -3 when I got there @ 8:00 and 5 above when I left @10:00. Enough wind to go upwind but not much more than that. The bouy line that got moved back makes a nice jump.
Augie

Re: 12/26 Pineview Icebox 13m

Postby kenclewis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 pm

We got there about the time Augie left. The sun still wasn't on the lake while we were setting up and it was bitter cold and the wind kind of died. By the time we were set up, the wind came back and blew nicely but it was still cold. I think the sun finally hit the narrows about 10am. At that point it wasn't too bad at all. We were running a 12m Waroo and I was teaching on a 9 Yarga. We had two more visitors come and lots of ice fisherman. All in all, a good time. The wind blew pretty good till about noon. Not much parking there due to the competition with the ice fisherman. There was about 2 inches of cristals on the ice so it was easy to cut thru but still fun.

Ken L
kenclewis

Postby Landon Burch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Good to hear there is some snow kiting happening at Pineview with the lightwinds. I'm a noob and I'm looking to head up in the next few days to give it a whirl. So if you see a guy with a 16m Rhino that doesn't look to competent, it's because I'm a noob. I've been flying a 2.5m HQ foil and I've been told to just get out with my bigger kite and give it a whirl. Are afternoons a good bet for decent winds at Pineview? I met a few kiters up there this summer that said they turn on like clockwork every afternoon but I'm not sure if that's the case in the winter
Landon Burch

Postby kenclewis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Pineview is where I learned to snow kite several years ago. I had been trying on water for several years prior to that with little success. With the help and suggestions of Les Vierra, I was able to pick it right up there. I have since taught my whole family on Pineview. It is a great place to learn but it is critical that you give a lot of space to the ice fisherman. We would hate to ever loose the privilege.

Having said all that, the best time for Pineview is in the mornings and only when there is a high pressure system in the area. The wind is a very consistent 10-12mph and the snow/ice is really slick which means there is no resistance. I have kited there in the afternoons and had great success but also lots of skunks. It isn't consistent like the summer. It is also much more gusty in the afternoons if it does blow at all. The good news is, if there is an afternoon wind, you can go out on the main part of the Lake then. Also it is much easier on skis than a snow board on Pineview because it rarely has any significant snow on it.

Last, but not least, if you haven't had instruction, it would be good to do so. It can be very dangerous otherwise.

Ken L
kenclewis

Postby Landon Burch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info Ken. My main concern is I don't want to irritate other kiters, and second of all not ruining the fun for everyone else either. So your advice is very much appreciated. Is snowkiting on Willard Bay any good when there is sufficient wind? I would like to go somewhere that has plenty of space so that my newbie mistakes don't cause havoc out on the ice and Willard seems like it would be a good idea.
Landon Burch

Postby kenclewis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:50 pm

I have never snow kited on Willard even though I live right by it. I know some people have. It's hard getting the right conditions but it may work. Just make sure the ice is thick enough!

-Ken
kenclewis

Return to Wind Log