Newbie Snowkiter looking for equip advice

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Newbie Snowkiter looking for equip advice

Postby matthew carter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Hello,

I am going to start snow kiting this year. I am out in Minnesota where the land is flat (we mostly ride on the lakes) and the wind is quite low. I am a very experienced skier - grew up racing and have lived out in the mountains for a couple seasons - and am also rather light ~130 lbs. The wind here is generally gentle: on average 5-15mph, though we get our windy days. I have a friend who has a trainer kite I've been using and am ready to go bigger, so I am looking for advice on a kite that will be the right size for me and that I won't 'out grow' too quickly. Also it'd be great to get some advice on the brands etc, as i am quite new to all this. Currently there is a used 2007 10m ozone access that going for a good price out here in MN. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
matt
matthew carter

Re: Newbie Snowkiter looking for equip advice

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

If you feel like it is a good price for you,
you should probably grab it, quick.
That would be a great size for your weight.
You will never out grow that kite.
You can't beat the Ozone Access for your first kite.

IMHO

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 am

Welcome to Utah, Matt. And I am glad to see another ski-snowkiter. :)))

matthew carter wrote: Currently there is a used 2007 10m ozone access that going for a good price out here in MN. Any thoughts?

I also have a 2007 10 meter Access. I like the kite. But if you are buying one from MN, it might take you awhile to get it. I am considering upgrading to a 2009 Frenzy. So, let me know what price you were offered and we can see if we can make a deal.

Welcome and see you out soon.

Leo
Leo Chan

Postby matthew carter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 am

Hey,

i actually live in minnesota - i joined this site because a good friend of mine here used to kite out in UT and said this is a great place to get helpful info! thanks for the replies so far!

the ozone access i am looking at is 475 OBO - includes lines, bar and bag and is in good condition - no repairs, good lines, etc (according to the guy selling).

cheers,
matt
matthew carter

Postby joshlytle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 am

Sounds like a good deal. I just bought an 08 access 10m for $550. I'm also a newbie.
joshlytle

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 pm

oh, you live in MN, forget what i said then. do come out to play in Utah next month with all the festivities.

~leo
Leo Chan

Postby JCRicketts » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:11 am

matthew carter wrote:Hello,

I am going to start snow kiting this year. I am out in Minnesota where the land is flat (we mostly ride on the lakes) and the wind is quite low. I am a very experienced skier - grew up racing and have lived out in the mountains for a couple seasons - and am also rather light ~130 lbs. The wind here is generally gentle: on average 5-15mph, though we get our windy days. I have a friend who has a trainer kite I've been using and am ready to go bigger, so I am looking for advice on a kite that will be the right size for me and that I won't 'out grow' too quickly. Also it'd be great to get some advice on the brands etc, as i am quite new to all this. Currently there is a used 2007 10m ozone access that going for a good price out here in MN. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
matt

Matt, get yourself an LEI style kite so you are not limited to the snow. If I was going to have just one kite for everything, and I weighed 130#, I would go with something like a 11m Waroo or something similar. This would cover you for 90 percent of the time for water and snow, with enough aggression you won't outgrow it or get bored.
You can always try anything once!
JCRicketts

Return to Main Message Board