What's the KB scene like at Deer Creek?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

What's the KB scene like at Deer Creek?

Postby Christian Weibell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm 9 hours into KB'ing on Kite Beach in Maui, now back in Utah Valley wondering where and how to take the next step. What's the KB'ing scene like at Deer Creek? I'm comfortable with an assisted launch and short downwind rides. I was just starting to ride upwind in my last lesson on KiteBeach. If Deer Creek isn't the spot, are there any good beginner playgrounds in this area with shore room downwind in case the upwind ride doesn't happen for me? Also curious to know if we have any really good, certified instructors out here that can hook me up with equipment, put me on the right size kite and right length of lines, get me into a safe place practice, and ride my board and kite back up wind if needed (while I walk back up shore---hopefully I can get past this phase really soon, I'm tired of walking).

Christian
>:-
Christian Weibell

Re: What's the KB scene like at Deer Creek?

Postby jason morton » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:20 pm

Christian-
Welcome to the UWA! Deer Creek is not friendly to kiters who can't consistently stay upwind. Utah Lake Lincoln beach is the spot for you. We ride there on a north wind, which typically blows best in the evenings and often until dark. Steady, smooth wind. Great for the working man. We mostly ride large kite sizes here (14m-17m), but winds can vary and all sizes will be used throughout the year. A light-wind specific board is key to success for the most part. We have been in a North-wind duldrum lately. Hopefully that will change soon. We don't have any certified instructors. Our last instructor had a baby and is retired.
jason morton

Postby Christian Weibell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Cool. Thanks. Nice to meet you.
Christian Weibell

Postby Travis Cook » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:01 am

Lincoln beach is great for learning cuz it's smooth and chest deep. If you go too far down wind you can walk out and back up for another try. Lots of other kiters too.
Travis Cook

Postby bradsaxe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I tried to PM you but it says that the user is not recognized. Can anyone help with this? Not too excited about posting my contact info up here but I may be of some help.

I am an IKO certified instructor with a little gear for sale (don't worry they are not the 2005 Fuels that I often ride but actual SLEs) that may be appropriate for you unless you are 6'2" 220lbs.

PM me and we can chat.
bradsaxe

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Christian,

Get in some sessions at Lincoln Beach and then start getting excited for the snow. Staying upwind on the snow is a breeze. Yeah, I know it is the middle of August, but I am already jacked for another season of snowkiting!
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board