Cozumel, Mexico

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Cozumel, Mexico

Postby DaveAllen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Spent December 12 to January 12 in Cozumel, Mexico. Winds were a little light at first, but great in January. On average, out of 7 days, at least 5 had good wind in the 12-20+ mph range. Since it is an island, you can always drive to one side where the wind is blowing the right direction. My favorite spot is the lagoons on the North end of the island. I am new to this and it was great. Used my 10 M Cabrina Switchblade on good wind days and a 13 M Cabrina Nomad on slow wind days. Adrian at Cozumel Kite Boarding is a great source of information. Did a downwinder one day with some friends on a boat and it was unbelievable as we road the waves on the wide open Caribbean. Good surf on the east side for those looking for waves (my next step). Great spot for a kiteboarding vacation. Seems like at least half of the kiters there are from Canada, met a couple of folks from England and France, some Texas and California riders, and some great locals.
DaveAllen

Re: Cozumel, Mexico

Postby Eric Gustafson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed Cozy! One of my favorite riding places. If anyone is interested in vacationing there, I have a condo right on the west side riding area, referred to as the Country Club. Special rates for fellow kiters. This link will give you all info, http://www.vrbo.com/200479
One of the best things about the riding there is the variety of places to ride. Other spots I have traveled to seem limited with good spots while Cozumel provides many choices for such a small Island. Many non wind activities also for the down days.
Eric Gustafson

Postby Tom Reynolds » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Just booked 9 nights in Cozumel in May, staying at Erics place.

http://cozumelislandcondo.com/Home.html

Looks great! Cant wait. I'll be sure to post trip report, pics etc after the trip. Had been thinking about Cabarete, but looked like too much of a "scene" there - thousands of kites in the air. Cozumel looks pretty chill, lots of options for recreation besides kiting.
Tom Reynolds

Postby Mark Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Tom Reynolds wrote:Just booked 9 nights in Cozumel in May, staying at Erics place.

http://cozumelislandcondo.com/Home.html

Looks great! Cant wait. I'll be sure to post trip report, pics etc after the trip. Had been thinking about Cabarete, but looked like too much of a "scene" there - thousands of kites in the air. Cozumel looks pretty chill, lots of options for recreation besides kiting.

I have been there 3 times. I spent 2 weeks diving there. Looks like a great place to kite. I will be there for a day off of a cruise with the family March 6th or so. I am hoping i can find a place to gear up on the Island, Last I checked the rental rates on kite gear were high! When I vacationed there last time there was not any kiting that I could find. Anyway I will have to go back again for a longer stay in the future.
Mark Johnson

Return to Wind Log